[tech]: how to tell how big yer block is?

First of all a 1.8 can't be bored to 2.0. It also has to be stroked.
With an 83mm bore (largest reasonable bore) and stock stroke the
displacement is 1870.
With 84.5 mm bore (largest possible unless you're the factory) and stock
stroke the displacement is 1938cc.
So, if it's really a 2.0 he had to have changed the crank for a 2.0
crank.
1.8 stroke is 86.4mm, 2.0 stroke is 92.8mm. 6.4mm or ~1/4". I'd think a
screwdriver down the spark plug hole and turn the engine over slowly a
couple times would be accurate enough to determine which crank you have.
As far as the bore, I'd think you'd have to pull the head.
Dan