Fw: I hate my shifter

I tried this many years ago.  I only did the rod that goes from the end of
the arm, that points to the back of the block, to the tranny(that would be
the longer of the two rods that has the right angle bends on both ends).  The
joints were aluminum with a composite bearing material, not metal and they
were not greaseable.  The bearing material wore out over time, luckily the
failure mode was the "hoop" fell into the neck of the ball, so I still was
able to shift and get home.  A greasable metal joint would last longer.  If
the joint is not protected from the elements(w/boots or seals), the grease
tends to attract dirt which accelerated wear.  The feel was a little more
positive that the stock bushings.  Was it worth it?  It was fun to try it and
the joints were leftovers from various projects at work.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
http://members.aol.com/sailingfc/

rick@brubakerbox.com writes:

Has anyone else tried this and what were the results?