Fw: I hate my shifter

I don't hate my shifter. In fact it works well. However since I have linkage
experience, I've been thinking of building a linkage with Heim joints for a
more positive feel as well as greater longevity (they do live in a terrible
environment).

Volkswagen probably did not produce our shifters in this way due to cost
and/or production troubles.

My questions are:
Has anyone else tried this and what were the results?
Other than WaspHwy@aol (no sig), is there any other interest in this
modification if I were to produce it?

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com