Impulse buy - Mk 1 - Chapter two

So I go and pick up this '81 today, still unsure of its
future.

It drives ok.  Kinda squirrelly with the shot suspension
and the clutch is...    well, it's gotta be down to the
rivets 'cuz all I have to do to shift is apply slight
pressure to the pedal.

Drove it home (about 40 minutes) and jacked it up to get a
second (GOOD) look at the rust situation.  I had two
reasons for buying the car.  One, drive an mk 1 for a bit,
maybe learn a little about fixing the rear axle rust
problem these cars are afflicted with in the midwest.  The
second reason was to acquire (at a cheaper price than
buying a new one) an uncracked windshield for my '80 S.

The more I got into the car, the worse it got.  The rear
axle area was already a given, as it's got a biiiiig hole
there.  I think a temporary fix could make it fairly safe
for another year or two though.  Then I looked at the
driver's side rocker panel where it meets the floorpan and
discovered it's got some rust-through along the seam.  Not
horrible, but definately there.  Soooo....    I think it's
probably going to live 'til the 30 day tag expires, and
then become a parts donor, as much as it pains me to take
another 'rocco off the road.  No, my mind is not completely
made up either.  Maybe the axle can be temporarily patched
and driven until the floor falls out.

If you need any pieces, e-mail me.  It's a stock silver
non-S, w/ 5 spd transmission & black interior.  I'll keep a
list running of who wants what (if anything?) and then work
something out when the car is off the road.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace