can the motor go in from the top with the tranny attached?

I second this.  I've done, and helped with quite a few swaps in the
last year, and all except the first one came out the bottom... I use a
4x4 piece of wood that stradles the fenders (inside engine bay!).  I
drilled two holes above the pickup points, and inserted two threaded
rods with ends bent into a hook...  I used to only use one rod, but
it's much easier and more accurate when you use two...  Turn nuts on
top of two large washers to raise or lower.  (I think I'll make a power
"adaptor" for next time by welding a piece of tubing on top of the nut,
and weld another nut on top to turn the whole thing with my electric
impact gun...  As long as the tubing is longer than the threaded rod at
it's highest point (engine installed), I see no reason this won't work
to speed things up quite a bit...

HTH,

Mark.