H&R vs others

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 WaspHwy@aol.com wrote:

> I have a bilstein sport/ neuspeed sport setup on my 84 gti. it rides pretty
> rough over normal roads, especially the front end. it handles great, but when
> it gets bumpy, the bump steer gets pretty severe. would I be happier with a
> set of H&R's or maybe suspension techniques? I dont want to go any lower than
> I am right now, as I am running 205-50-15's. thanks
Hmm,

Bump steer is from being lowered, best way to get rid of that is:
a) relocate the tie rods higher. at stock height the tie rods are at no
angle i/e paralell to the surface the car is on. Use rod ends instead of
tie rod ends, and drill the spindle to accept a bolt, use a high grade
bolt to bolt the rod end to the spindle, and space it up with washers
etc. till it is paralell again.

I wouldnt recommend that mod for the street unless you know what oyu are
doing, otherwise its a race only mod.

2) get neuspeed/h&r soft sports. they only drop 1/2 inch. thus, the tie
rods are more paralell and no bump steer.

finally, if the comfort is the problem, ditch the bilstein sports, they
are some of the harshest shocks their are. My previous 16v scirocco had
neuspeed sports with Boge turbo gas, nice ride. My corrado had h&r sports
with Bilstein sports, way harsh! the harshness is from the shocks sorry to
say. Having said that, i just bought another set for my new rocco as they
handle so nice :)

take care,

Steve

     If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just smile. --James Bond
                      http://westfailure.org