OT 99 Jetta key Q

--=======7466B9=======

Hopefully someone will know this.
I got an email from a local guy wanting to know if I knew where he can
get another key for his 99 Jetta TDI because the dealer wants 35 for it
and 75 for a transmitter?  I'm guessing(but no real knowledge on these
damned new ones) that he has some kind of transmitter in the handle of
the key and they are expensive-any cheap way around it for him?  I'm
also guessing that the key blanks for these aren't like our older
VWs and only cost a couple of bucks.  Anybody?

John