Scirocco 16v roll cage manufacture ??

I think you're right Steve. Perhaps Rick was thinking
of a cage, where that could definitely be an issue.
With a roll bar above and behind the seat, especially
with padding, you shouldn't have a problem.

I might be wrong here, but I'd even say that a
properly padded cage is typically better than no cage
at all, even without a helmet. If your head contacts a
padded cage bar, it is probably better than whatever
un-padded thing (sheet metal, glass, tree, roadway,
etc) your head would have contacted otherwise...or
worse yet, what would have contacted your head (as in:
total roof collapse)! Of course, its possible that in
a mild-to-moderate accident your head wouldn't have
reached the door frame, but it did move far enough to
hit the cage. Everything has drawbacks: airbags have
been attributed to injuries where none might have
occured without, but I'd still prefer to have them!

Neal

--- jester@westfailure.net wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Rick Alexander wrote:
>
> > If this is to be a street car, then I urge you to
> reconsider. Roll bars are
> > a racing item where brain buckets are worn. Unless
> you plan on wearing a
> > helmet on the street, you are much worse off in an
> accident with a roll bar
> > and no helmet.
> Oaky doaky,
>
> I'm confused here. If the roll bar is built to
> sanctioning specs, it
> should be at least 6 inches behind the driver. Any
> accident that would
> cause roll bar to head contact, probalby would have
> crushed the car on top
> of you. And roll bars should be padded... so i guess
> im not sure why you
> would say this?
>
> could you maybe give an example of how a head could
> contact the bar (not
> cage) in a way where you wouldnt have been worse off
> without
> it? (assuming, of course, you are wearing your seat
> belt & dont have
> passengers in the back seat.)
>
> Not saing you are wrong, just that what you say
> doesn't make sense to me
> just yet. If they were that unsafe would roll bars
> come stock on open top
> jeeps?
>
> take care,
>
> Steve

>      If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just
> smile. --James Bond
>                       http://westfailure.org

=====
~Neal