2032cc 16v motor is here! (with wierd compression)

I imagine that it's hard to perform an accurate compression test
with an un-installed engine. Perhaps a leak down test is
more appropriate, and could give you a heads up as to whether
you have compression leakage in the bottom end or through the
valves. You are swapping the head anyways, so this could be a
good test to see if the rings are sealing well.

I do agree, though, that the best indicator is the
condition of the engine when it was last run...as performing
the compression and leak down test on a cold engine isn't an
optimum setup. Now here, you have to go by the word of the
previous owner. How much faith do you have in your fellow humans?
It worked for me before, when I bought a 2.0L 16v with supposed low
mileage.

Kareem
1981 Scirocco S
1988 Scirocco 2.0L 16v