what would it take to fit 225/50/14?

--- jester@westfailure.net wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Mash wrote:
>
> > I think you would be better off to forget about
> these
> > tires (unless you don't give a sh*t about your
> car).
> > They are too tall and also too much tire.
> Well,
>
> I would disagree that they are too much tire.

OK . . .

> 225/50/13 is about the same
> width and is very poular with autocrossers that race
> similar VW's with
> smaller brakes. This size is the closest equivalent
> in a 14".

Anybody on this list running 225-50/14 on a A1 car? -
just curious . . .

What size rim? I would think a 14X7 rim would be
essential . . .

Yes, I was stupid. My calculation puts the 225-50/14
at 21.28"

> I probably could buy brand new hoosier race tires in
> 205/50/14, but i am a
> cheapskate like ron, and if i have found something
> that should work just
> about as well for an amateur racer like me for FREE
> i am going to try to
> make it work. Especially when new ones are $15 each,
> so a set is $4-600
> more or less!!! at those prices i would be racing on
> street tires this
> year.
>
> Too much tire or not, used hoosiers are probably
> about 100% better than
> street tires for autocross.
>
> As for them being too tall, they are 22.7 inches

Taller than I calculated (brands do differ slightly)

> tall, and stock
> 185/60/14's are about 22.8 inches tall, so they are
> actually SMALLER in
> diameter between the two tires i compared on the
> tire rack anyway. that
> is a .01% difference, if you can feel that you have
> a golden butt.

I've never been accused of having a golden butt . . .

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco S, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT / Yes, I am a moron . . .
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)