87 16v fuel pump?

OK, I found this web sight a few months ago and its been a great help with
my new car a 87 16v scirocco found this baby with 85,000 original miles on
it, but now I have a problem and thought maybe some of you could help?

Here is the deal, the car was bucking and hesitating and the fuel pump next
to the tank was making a lot of noise . This was an off and on condition
for about two or three days then it finally staled out and would not start
up It will tun over fine so....

When I turned the ignition on I could hear ringing sound coming from the
tank but not the fuel pump next to the tank, the relay was working  (I could
hear it clicking) and the fuse was fine. I all so checked  to se if there
was a spark, there was. I couldn't smell any gas from the exhaust. Then I
checked the cold start valve and it was operating properly.

So I assumed that it was the fuel pump and replaced it when I got it off I
could not tell witch wire was positive or negative  (its hard to tell lying
on your back trying to get the bolts off in that tight spot) so I tested
them with a test light while someone turned the ignition great! I figured
out that red with a yellow stripe was positive and solid red was negative.
put it all back together and it still wouldn't start! dam!
I could still hear the ringing sound in the tank but not the pump next to
the tank so I was reading in my Haynes manual and decided I better try
testing the relay with a jumper wire I followed the instructions  and the
pump still didn't come on!
Now after testing the relay I am afraid I  screwed something up now I don't
get power to the pump and I cant hear the ringing sound in the tank the fuse
is still fine but I cant hear the relay clicking(I know the I followed the
manual exactly as it said for testing the relay) So I got another relay
still nothing. Than I ran A jumper wire directly to the fuel pump and it
came on so it works! But only with the jumper wire!
So now any one have any ideas?

A few Questions,
1. what the hell was the ringing sound in the tank, my manual only sows one
fuel pump?
2. Are there any fusible links on this thing? if so were are they? and could
this be the problem?
3. What the heck am I missing?

p.s. Just out of curiosity I put some power to the old pump and it did come
on? don't know what that is about. I all so jut did A tune-up  about 2000
miles ago that include a fuel filter.

any help? thank it advance..
Blaine Avery
87 rocco 16v