Now a question (reverse grind)

--- ATS - Patrick Bureau <pbureau@attbi.com> wrote:
> HUmm isnt reverse and 3rd gear the same gear per say, just a
> different
> pinion that rotates it differently ?

no, the 1st/2nd gear slider has external teeth for reverse.  Reverse
gear is a separate little gear on a separate little shaft.  It pops up
to mate the sliderm teeth and reverse teeth on the pinion.

> if it is a problem in reverse only and not in 3rd gear (if my
> suposition is
> correct) then it would not be synchro nor gears.
> but most likely a cable, lack of oil, or perhaps even his shifter
> assembly
> that is actually binding,

It grinds becuse it's spinning, it spins due to the mainshaft spinning,
which can only spin if there is some mechanical enagement (intended or
otherwise) to the flywheel.  So a clutch cable problem/misadjustment or
clutch sticking to the flywheel are the only possibilities in my mind.
For the latter, that can be due to crud on the splines (ask Kevin
Collins).  When warm, that crud may well loosen up and allow normal
operation.  That's how I vote, anyway.

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.