a few JH rebuilding Q's-

 --- Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com> a écrit :
> > I finally have my '84 JH completely dissasembled.
> My Q's are:
> > -as my Bentley states, are the rod bolts really
> not reusable?  would
> > the > dealer have them?
>
> Don't reuse them.  Dealer or Potterman.
>
> > -how necessary is it to have the crankshaft
> polished?
>
> If it's not scored, and the chrome is consistent,
> I'd leave it.
> Really, thought, I'd hafta see it.

or use 800 grit sandpaper cut the width of the
journals, use lots of oil, and polish with a back and
forth motion all around.

> > -what was the original paint color for the block?
> just wondering...
>
> Black which is my LEAST favorite engine
> color...makes seeing leaks etc.
> hard.  I'm a Gray Hammerite guy.

Semigloss black is my kind of color.

> > -in the bentley it shows the pistons as having a
> relatively flat
> > crown/top.
> > the ones in my JH are unlike any other piston i've
> seen(in my rather
> > limited experience).  They have deep bowls in
> them, I could almost
> eat cereal out of
> > them.  Is this normal?
>
> Eating cereal out of piston tops is not considered
> normal.  But the
> dishes are.

REAL gearheads eat cereal out of piston tops. ;) And
they do the actual rebuild in their living room.

> > -would it harm the alternator if I sprayed alot of
> contact cleaner
> > into the
> > brushes/coil-wire thing/whatever and spun it
> around?  would this even
> > help
> > at all?
>
> I can't for a second see how this could help
> anything.
>
> G/L!  Keep the questions coming!  You've probably
> provided a little
> education for more than just yourself; that's what
> the list is for...
>

> =====
> Cheapass Ron
> "Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
> "Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale
>
> If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco Slegato