CIS-E Troubleshooting

Ok here is quick test to tell you if it is engine machanical related or FI
related (i.e. vacuum leak or other).

hook up your test lead for the DPR
disconnect O2 sensor
grasp O2 sensor connector (computer side) with one hand
place other hand/finger/thumb on pos battery terminal (no you wont get
shocked)
watch DPR current reading; does it go up? Down?
if it does then you have a vacuum leak or other engine related problem
if it doesnt do anything but read constant 20 then you have an electrical
problem.

HTH and sorry I couldnt offer more insight as to what might be causing it if
it is an electrical problem

>  Well, my 16v mk1 is coming along, but I still can't figure out why
>it continues to run in Open Loop mode...
>
>  First, I checked the DPR current and found it to read a constant 20.4 mA.
>This led me to check the O2 sensor, which did appear to be bad...
>so I replaced the sensor.  Checked DPR again, and still read a constant
>reading.  Checked the O2 sensor directly and it was giving a good signal...
>  Next I checked most of the inputs to the O2 "Jetronic" box... everything
>seemed normal (coolant temp sensor fine, and both idle and full throttle
>switches good).  I then swapped boxes with my '86 16v (which I know is
>good)
>and the mk1 STILL showed a constant value around 20 mA for DPR current.
>
>There must be a bad signal somewhere that is causing CIS-E to go directly
>to the open loop mode... what could it be?
>
>I'm just not sure what else to check... any thoughts would be great!
>
>=====
>Benjamin Harder
>86 Scirocco 16v
>80 Scirocco 16v