  From: Robbie Cotner=20
  To: onesixv@juno.com=20
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 7:04 PM
  Subject: for eric! updated for anyone! Re: new clutch, doesn't engage =
or something- help!

   I can push it up to just past level, and then it moves no more (by =
finger).  Did you get the post that spoke of the fact that the engine =
turns the wheels(both in same direction btw), but spinning one wheel =
still just spins the other in the opposite direction.  My car is an '83 =
8v with a 2H trans.  I just reattached the clutch cable-  it does pull =
the trans lever past the semi-level point I got to by hand.  I turned =
engine with clutch out, and it turns wheels.  push clutch in, and it =
doesn't turn the wheels.  Is it just a common Scirocco thing to have the =
wheels just turn each-other oppositely?  I swear they used to NOT.  =
thanks so much-=20

  Rob=20

  Eric L Ellis <onesixv@juno.com> wrote:=20

    You should be able to lift the lever by hand to a point just above =
level and then meet resistance that you can't continue past.  If =
resistance is constantly easy enough to raise by hand to 30 degrees+ =
above level, the problem could be:
    1. You perhaps forgot to install the release plate in the pressure =
plate
    2. The center of the release plate is gone allowing the release rod =
to pass through and it's stuck inside
    3. The release rod is somewhere around the car 'cause it slid out =
when the transmission was out.

    What does your clutch pedal do?

    The issue with the splines:
    If you have a 16v that someone has changed the transmission to an =
early 8v (pre '93?) the splines on the 8v transmission input shaft are =
smaller than the splined hole in the 16v disk. This is normally =
accompanied by a grinding noise.

    Eric
    "Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!"
    http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v
    AOL IM:  OneSixV
    http://www.geocities.com/onesixv

    On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 15:04:28 -0700 (PDT) Robbie Cotner =