centering clutch without pilot tool? I think I did it...

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Robbie Cotner
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 1:12 PM
To: Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: centering clutch without pilot tool? I think I did it...

Ok, I don't have time to wait for my $0.96 pilot tool to arrive this
friday, so I came up with this idea of centering the clutch.  I put 6
bolts loosely on the flywheel(which I finally figured out for those that
read my earlier question), so that the clutch could still move around.
I then bolted the tranny up to the engine, and tightened the 6 bolts
through the starter hole.  I then removed the tranny, but in checking
with my dial caliper it is still slightly off.  Almost to the point
where it is noticeable with the naked eye.  However, the tranny DID go
on, so is this slight offset permissible?  Any other ways anyone knows
of for centering the clutch?  I do have a "universal" centering tool
that fits in the splines, but ofcourse the VW flywheel is something far
from universal....
thanks in advance,
Rob

You did it, it's done...

Once you get the tranny on there, it is automatically centered...
The input shaft of the transaxle has mated with the clutch disc, it's a
beautiful thing.

Peter