(ot) '94 jetta problems

  i know, i know. wrong "list", but a vw is a vw, maybe someone has an idea.
a friend of mine has a '94 2l jetta. the problem it has is it doesn't like
to start. background: car is in time, gets gas, has spark. we unplugged the
ecu and plugged it back in and the car worked fine for three days, so when
the problem came back we figured computer. we replaced the computer, still
the problem comes back. checked everything again, in time, has spark, gets
gas, now has a new computer. if you unplug the computer and plug it back in
the car will start normal for a day or two, then won't start again. did we
get a bum computer? is there something we're overlooking? is there somekind
of bug in this year jetta that we don't know about? any help would be
greatly appreaciated!
  tia
   hit