16v running lean? Please help

--- Ken B <Indiana_Red@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My 16v transplant starts very easily and seems to idle
> smooth.  When I open
> the thtottle about say 25% anticipating about a 2500 rpm
> run, it will
> instead, stumble and gag for 10-15 seconds then slowly
> smoothout and then
> start climbing to the expected engine speed. Kind of like
> a carb engine will
> do if the extra fuel squirter thing doesnt work.   If I
> open the throttle
> very slowly the same effect but less pronounced.  It will
> even sound like it
> backfires and I can feel the airflow sensor plate under
> the boot jump when
> it does this.   A friend of mine is very experianced in
> automotive service
> but is not familiar with our fuel systems thinks it
> sounds lean.  If I
> follow this theory, where can I go to check this.  Also
> would a failed 02
> sensor, or one that is NOT giving a signal to the ECU
> cause the engine to
> "lean out".
> I seem to recall some potential big problems with an
> overly lean engine
> burning out valves and such.
> Can anyone please addres these posibilities or theorys.
> Thanks

It sounds to me more like your timing is very retarded.
Try advancing it some and see where it gets you before
screwing with the mixture - especially since the donor ran
fine before removal.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace