16v running lean? Please help

My 16v transplant starts very easily and seems to idle smooth.  When I open
the thtottle about say 25% anticipating about a 2500 rpm run, it will
instead, stumble and gag for 10-15 seconds then slowly smoothout and then
start climbing to the expected engine speed. Kind of like a carb engine will
do if the extra fuel squirter thing doesnt work.   If I open the throttle
very slowly the same effect but less pronounced.  It will even sound like it
backfires and I can feel the airflow sensor plate under the boot jump when
it does this.   A friend of mine is very experianced in automotive service
but is not familiar with our fuel systems thinks it sounds lean.  If I
follow this theory, where can I go to check this.  Also would a failed 02
sensor, or one that is NOT giving a signal to the ECU cause the engine to
"lean out".
I seem to recall some potential big problems with an overly lean engine
burning out valves and such.
Can anyone please addres these posibilities or theorys.
Thanks

Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion "...it's working....It's WORKING...!"
tracing electrical gremlins now...
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"