drive flange seal replacement

--0-773072103-1024725563=:16146

Alright, I removed the engine and tranny today to swap in the new 1.8.  I was in denial, but should have known the drive flange seals would be bad.  How hard is it to replace them, with the tranny out?  For whatever the reason the dust caps have already come off on BOTH sides and were just floating around in the inner CV shafts.  This leads me to think they were replaced before(?).  I ordered the seals from NAPA today, but they probly won't ever come so I'm going to potterman.  What all do I need?  Mr. Bentley says to replace the circlip, can I tell him to screw off? (me thinks it would be impossible to find).  Anyway, anybody have any tips, tool substitutes for all those VW special tools Bentley says are involved.  Since they have been out so long, would it hurt to just pretend I didn't see them, drain and refill the tranny, and go on a 2-3000 mile road trip?  Then fix them when I get back ofcourse.  Reason I ask is I need to leave soon.  To give you an idea of how fast the leak is, if I wipe the tranny fluid off the inner drive flange, it will reappear within 3 mins.  Please help-  any advice at all will help!

Rob