transmissions

--- Eric Anastas <aireq@softhome.net> wrote:
> couple questions
>
> 1) I have an 86' 8v and an 88' 16v are the transimissions the same?
> If not
> are any parts interchangable

The main issues are the required clutch disks (16V needs larger) and
possibly the output flanges, 90mm vs 100mm for the 16v, but these are
directly swappable.

try this: http://w3.one.net/~rapieper/trannytools.doc

> 3) Here's the reason I am asking. My car has been very hard to get
> into gear
> lately. Sometimes when iddleing i can heard a buzzing or a rattling
> sound. I
> think the clutch just isn't comming all the way out, but my clutch
> cable is
> adjusted all the way and there is still more then a the  0.7 cm slack
> the
> bentely says I should have.

Check all linkages and bushings.  You may have a very worn clutch
pushrod, which can be removed/replaced by pulling off the 5th gear
cover.  But if that's the case (the clutch end should be sort of
tapered then radiused, not flat or mushroomed) you will need a new
actuating plate, which means tranny removal.

Yoy may also be missing the rubber bushing between the cable and the
perch on the tranny...I haven't determined what applications get the
big fat bushing vs. the thinner ones (hell, maybe they all get the big
fat ones?) but those get worn and can disintegrate.  Cheap at the
dealer.

HTH

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.