[fuel/elec?] Stumbling

  This is on the '89Fox, just think of it as any other 1.8L 8V with CIS-E,
just looking at it from the wrong direction.  : )
   Started over a week ago, car stumbled/tried to stall out once or twice,
got it home and with it running I hear the fuel pump in back sounding like a
Black and Decker drill sitting next to me. Swapped the pump a few days ago.
  Yesterday it started doing it again, trying to stall out going down the
road. Today it's much worse, going dead a few times or stumbling while
driving. Problem occurs in all conditions; acceleration, decelerating,
cornering and straight line driving.
  What do I need to look at replacing now? Transfer pump? Distributor (hall
sensor bad?)? Fuel pump relay?

  Other stuff to ruin my day:
    Took a set of 9.4 vented rotors w/10K mi.s in to have them turned and the
mech tells me the rotors are "worn uneven". Never mind both are nice and
thick within spec., he's not about to turn them until I can prove they come
that way from the factory like I'm telling him.
   Got a call from the performance shop today telling me they can't find a
front upper stress bar for the Scirocco at all. None, nada, nothing.

Carl
77rocco -now the daily driver
89fox -sick