From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Scott F. Williams
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 11:07 AM
To: Leach, Michael; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: Motor oil recommendations

Mike, Oil selection is apparently a very subjective thing. I ran my 8v and
16v rally engines on Redline and Elf 10W30. Keep in mind that this was
in -5degF winters on up to 100+degF summers. Rpms ran up to the rev limiter
for hours and days. I did run an air/oil cooler in the Warpig (2.0l 3A 8v)
but had the stock air/water heat exchanger in the Golf (1.8l PL 16v).

I stay away from 20W50 because I feel that a) the extra viscosity isn't
necessary, and b) it definitely increases the drag on the components.
Thinner equals faster and greater efficiency. Be mindful that going too
thick can actually *increase* wear!

Anywho, oil pressure is just a number for relative comparison. I'm more
concerned with adequate flow and lubrication. Thus, a thinner oil with a
high film strength is what I'll always go for. Those requirements spell out
**synthetic**.

P.S. I ran synthetic 10W40 in my 323GTX (1.6l turbo with lots of boost and
teeny air/oil cooler).
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut