1.8 mounting

The B3 Passat and B$ both had transverse engine
mounting.  The B3 had the 2.0 16v and the Vr6.  The B4
had the 2.0 115hp and VR6.  I think they were the only
Passats with transerve setups so far.  In my opinion I
find it easier to look at the engine bay and check
items in a longitudally mounted engine over
transverse.  I find the engine bay of my Scirocco
cramped.  My QUantum just has over 123K and its still
on its orginal engine and tarnny(audi 3spd auto :(
The 98 and up B5 and B5.5 Passat are AUdi A4 based so
they have a longitudally mounted engine.  I think all
Passats execpt the B3 and B4 are longitualmounted
engines.
--- Bill Collins <photo@intrex.net> wrote:
> > In the other cars they also have some history they
> seem to be following;
>

> The longitudinal mounting seems to come from the old
> Audi line, like the '70s Audi 80 and 100ls, then the
> Audi fox (VW Dasher), Audi 5000 and Audi 4000 (VW
> Quantum).  The VW fox (longitundinal engine again)
> was based on the Brazillian Gol (NOT Golf), which
> seems to have been based on one of the old Audi
> designs (although the original Gol had an aircooled
> engine!)  I haven't kept up with the passat line
> very much.  I think the early Passat that I test
> drove around '90 had a transverse engine.  Did they
> continue that or go back the Longitduinal mounting?
>
> Bill

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco