1.8 mounting

Actually there is one benefit I can think of off the top of my head to
having a tranverse vs inline setup. The trannies are stronger on the
transverse type setups. They are also more efficient. The power coming from
the engine does not have to turn 90 degrees to make it to the wheels. This
takes its toll on the tranny after years of use. Jsut ask those out there
with dashers and foxes. 90% of those cars on the road have HELLA noisy
trannies. They also break quite often. So that all said it comes to mind
that it might also be more economical to have a transverse setup. Less
powertrain loss = better fuel mileage. less wear on the tranny = less
frequent tranny rebuilds.

>The primary reason for transverse mounting is to save space.  It's just a
>little more compact....
>Otherwise, there's no benefit, mechanically or financially.
>
>Larry  sandiego16V

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA