Pirelli Poppin' Rocco

Well, after much speculation as to what was causing my tire to rub on the
strut and explode, I'm happy to report that the rear axle is NOT bent and
that it was in fact the spring popping out in the middle.  I was surprised to
see that I actually had Eibach springs on the car.  For some reason the one
on the driver's side was bent and sticking out (more than 1/2") towards the
inside of the tire and rubbing on it.  Never seen anything like it.  The
shock itself is straight upon inspection, just the spring was bent.  No idea
why.  I put a different set of springs (Suspension Techniques) on it and
there is no tire rub.

Anybody else ever see anything like this happen to a spring???  I'm baffled.

Tom in Tucson