New to list. Tranny problems - need help

Hi all,

I just got an 84 Scirocco and think it may have suffered SMS, but it doesn't
all add up (from what I've recently learned of SMS).

A few days ago, idling at a stop, I felt a nasty crunch from the tranny -
felt like the car was hit.  Clutch in, first gear selected.  Took off
without any further drama.  Last night, went from 1st to 2nd - heard a
crunch -then nothing.  No power transmission whatsoever.  Feels like clutch
is in permanently, but the clutch feels (and is) still working fine -
linkage and pressure plate at least.

The clutch "feels" like it is working fine, but if I had to guess what is
wrong, I would think it was the main shaft had snapped and that the clutch
assembly is no longer attached to the transmission.  (just form the symptoms
- tranny seems to be still driven from wheel side, but not from engine side)
The tranny gears seem driven because when I towed it, synchros would wind up
when 1st or second was tried.  At a stand still the lever goes in all gears
- no problem.

Far fetched I know, but the symptoms I have read seems to steer me away from
the final drive.  Then there are some things that point me to the final
drive:  The clunk I heard a few days earlier could have been the first rivet
making it's way out.  Already weakened it just needed a small amount of
stress to shear the rest???

I realize I am grasping, but the remains of the tranny feel way to crisp for
me to believe there is any serious damage in the tranny.  Is it possible to
just fix the final drive without rebuilding the whole unit?  I have read
they are a nightmare to work on, but is it possible - I am a fairly
experienced mechanic, but I would not have any VW specific tools.

I have found an 82' Scirocco parts car with complete powertrain, and I am
wondering if I should have the tranny updated before installation.  Again -
is it possible to update to the replacement tranny with the bolt kit?  If so
- any idea on what it should cost - or is it something you can do with
regular hand/air tools?

Thanks for any advise!

Rabin Rutten-James
ISC Help Desk