Major clutch mishap!! Need InstyHelp!!!!

Nate, you will find I have been there, and done that. See below.

Nate Mellom wrote:

> This is on the '84, 1.8 JH, 4K.
> I was pulling to a stop sign, and I pushed the clutch in to downshift.
>  It went about 1/4 of the way down, and them POP!  There was a
> semi-loud, semi-metallic popping noise and the clutch pedal went
> straight to the floor.  I put it in neutral, let the pedal up, it came
> up good.  Pushed down, there is NO resistance.  My first thought was a
> broken clutch cable, but I checked under the hood and the cable is fine,
> the clutch actuator lever works and everything.  I can pull the lever up
> by hand.  There were no symptoms, it just popped.  Some background:  I
> did do a motor swap in February, and I re-used all the existing clutch
> parts

Doh!

>(it was a recent clutch to begin with).

Well,,,, OK then.

<snip>

> HELP!!!!
> Nate

I THINK it's clutch pushrod punch-through syndrome.

Another item you can check without taking the whole thing apart is to
pop the green end cap off and have someone work the pedal while you look
to see if the little fork in there is not slipping on the shaft attached
to the outer arm/clutch cable.

Thirdly I would verify the holder up at the top of the pedal cluster
hasn't broken loose and/or gone through the fire wall.

Lastly I wonder if you have a snapped cable, but I doubt that's it.

Wait, wait, wait-

> Pushed down, there is NO resistance.  My first thought was a
> broken clutch cable, but I checked under the hood and the cable is fine,
> the clutch actuator lever works and everything.  I can pull the lever up
> by hand.

You shouldn't be able to pull up the lever much at all, it takes the
leverage of the pedal to do that. Hmmmm.

hth,
TBerk