Pop/Backfire help plz

I have the same exact thing on my 84 just that the
exhuast on mine is old and the Cat is probably gutted
also b/c of not being used for 4 years.  Bascially its
that the car is running rich and fuel is getting in
the exhaust plus their could be a leak, but its
nothing bad. Personally I like the off-throttle pop on
my 84   expcially when downshifting.
Heres a link on VWvortex about the off-throttle that
was discussed.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=368824
--- Adam McCrory <twohippork@attbi.com> wrote:
> My problem has started up just as of recently.  For
> starters, my engine
> is a 1.8L JH w/ stock 8v solid lifter head.  What's
> happening is when I
> let off the gas/decelerate, I hear a random
> pop/backfire sound from the
> exhaust and it bugs the hell out of me. I'm not sure
> if this would be
> valve adjustment? I have good exhaust gaskets, new
> header, punched
> through cat, ect.. Anyone have a resolution to my
> pain?
>
> Adam
> '83 8v Wolfsburg

=====