swap solid head internals to hydrolic head

On 6/6/02 6:49 AM, "Mash" <type53@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- fryer <alienj@bad-candy.com> wrote:
>> - can all  my solid lifter internals be swapped from my crappy
>> solid lifter
>> head and put in the hydrolic head without some kind
>> of super
>> conversion kit? im only asking cos i already bought
>> all new solid
>> lifter valves, guides and a g-grind cam.
>> thanks
>
> ==================
> I don't think you can swap the "internals" from head
> to head.

The Hydro valve stems are shorter, so you'd need both lifters and valves.
Aside from the show-stopping difference in valve diameter, they question is
if the oil pressurizing squrters for the hydro lifters would screw with the
solid lifters.

> A non GTI Golf (US) has the GX code motor (85 hp). You
> can swap a solid lifter head onto it and bring it up
> to JH specs pretty much.

Plus the GX has a 9.0:1 CR vs the 8.5:1 of the JH, so you'd actually get a
bump in power.

> The GX head has 38/33 valves while the JH head has
> 40/33 - better breathing.

Absolutely. Don't waste your time with the GX head.

Chris, $50 for the GX is OK, but you could probably pick up an RD motor for
that much, and then the valve swapping becomes a much better possibility.

Say, what's wrong with the JH head on your 85? It would fit on top of any 8v
1.8l bottom end. Unless it's warped beyone repair, or cracked, or has broken
Ezout in broken exhaust stud, or the cam bearings are roasted, then it
should be just fine. The JH head is very nice. Keep it if possible.

HTH,
Jonas