spelling bee/fuel injector question

Ken B wrote:

> "...probably some local fisherman... out for a pleasure cruise...at
> night...through eel infested waters..."
> With the posible exception of a couple of the Monty Python movies, the most
> quotable of all.
> I love that show.
>
> > the preceding was a gratuitous OT bit of "fluff".  We now return you to
> your regularly schedualed Scirocco content >
>
> If say someone on a routine inspection, were to notice that one of his fuel
> injectors was missing the small lower "O" ring. what adverse affects might
> that cause.  I just dont know what that would seal against since the larger
> one about an inch further up clearly does the job that a layman would expect
> of an "O" ring.  Also, should this someone be nervouse about where that
> little "o" ring is now and should he be looking for bits of burnt rubber
> dust on the inside of his tail pipe...  -- a bit nervous
>
> Ken

It sounds like air shrouded injectors, which came on later type FI, the
late 70's stuff didn't use the double O-ring type. In fact the 84 GTI is
the 1st _I_ ever saw them with, but of course I don't know everything.

In this case I would get a new O-ring but not care too much about what
happened to the old one. Like a kidney stone I'd think the motor would
pass it, even if it got to the cat it would burn up I'd think.

It seems it might throw off the atomization of the one injector's
delivery if you don't replace it- I have been asking about air shrouded
injectors but everybody who seems to know any thing (except Kevin, who
even knows where to get Type C Borbets) is in Cincy this week.  <frump>

TBerk