Brake line Q

Brake lines are pretty straightforward with the right tools, and even more
so when the engine bay is empty.  I buy the expensive VW steel tubing - it
costs more, but lasts about 50 times longer than the mild uncoated steel
crap you buy at your average APS, and I find it softer and easier to bend
as well. YMMV.  You need a flaring kit capable of handling ISO flares - I
think (don't quote me) the VW tubing size is 4.5mm.  A lot of tool outlets
carry these kits now - look for a flaring kit for "import" cars.  The
fittings are also available from your local APS, or from VW, or I expect
from the Potterpeople as well.  You may be able to re-use the fittings
from the car or another one if they're not rusted, rounded off, or
otherwise buggered.

If you were doing all the lines on the car (which I have done before a few
times) I'd bank on spending a half-day.  Getting some of the A1 bends
right may be a little difficult if you don't have the old lines to
reference, but by the time you've done all of the (start with the easy
ones) then you'll be good at it... :)

I try to avoid recycling steel lines unless they're in really spanky shape
or I'm only looking to get a year or two out of the car.  Of course, up
here we tend to have a little salt (like about 2 ton to the mile) used on
the roads in the winter, which shortens the life of brake lines etc.

Drew