TDI Golf & Scirocco

At 09:06 PM 6/3/2002, Jorel Jackson wrote:
>I'm seriously looking into buying a new VW Golf TDI.
>The goal is to get a nice commuter car and to take the
>pressure off the Sciroccos. Is there any lister who
>has driven or owns one of these? If so, how does it
>compare to driving a Scirocco?

I've driven a Mk4 Golf TDI a few times, and put extensive miles on an Audi
A3 1.9TDI with a sport package in Germany.  (Which, as you know, is the
same thing as a Golf).

IMO you can't compare the two cars; they're apples and oranges.  The Mk4 is
quiet, and you feel isolated from the road.  The steering is very nice, but
the shifter is a little vague.  The clutch is very soft, and the brake
pedal is waaayy too soft and is very on/off in its nature.

As a daily driver, the TDIs are great.  They're quiet and comfortable, and
actually quick, especially off the line.  (The A3 has the 115-hp TDI and is
probably faster in 1st than a stock 1.8 16V Scirocco -- 2nd through 5th are
obviously slower).  Diesels have great low-end torque, making the TDI a
low-stress daily driver -- just keep it over 1000rpm and it's happy in any
gear.

They handle decently well -- nothing like A1s or A2s -- or even A3s.  But
their ride quality is superb and the structure is extremely rigid.  The
interior quality and fit-and-finish of the A4 cars is better than the
Mercedes C-Class -- that is to say, incredible.

All in all a very good daily driver.  Just don't think it will compare to
the Scirocco in any way.

Jason