From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Dave Novak
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 5:54 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: curious engine sound/problem

So, umm, err.. this 'friend' I have with a VW engine is hearing a
concerning
sound from his CIS-E engine.

The car has been difficult to start up for the last week. When cold, the

engine dies after running for 3-4 seconds (regardless of how the gas
pedal
is pressed). This happens about 3 or 4 times, and then the engine
manages to
stay running.. roughly. If you try and persuade the engine to rev, it
backfires and generally runs like shit.

If you wait five minutes, it's at least driveable. I made it from CT to
RI
to MA to NH and back to CT like this.

This morning, I hear a knocking sound from the engine. Thought it was
the
alternator, but the bearings are tight. Sounds like it's from under the
alternator. It doesn't knock at idle, but as soon as you get it to alt
least
1500rpm, you can hear a scraping/knocking sound.

Is my intermediate shaft toast? Is this also why the car runs like crap
when
cold? Flaky distributor timing because of the intermediate shaft on the
way
out?

When the car is warm and running correctly, I observed the timing
changing
when the engine revs, so the Hall sender is working correctly, as my
Bentley
says..

I changed the fuel filter, too..

I have a problem, don't I?