rieger power steering - help

Fellow listers
    the rieger left a few red puddles after my trip to ocala last weekend. today i jacked up the front end expecting to have to swap
an output shaft seal on the tranny. turns out the passenger side power steering boot has a 1/2" split (where it clamps to the tie
rod), and go figure the clamp is missing. This is also the point it is leaking from. I lost 1.5" from the p/s reservoir over ~400
miles (im guessing it began sometime in/around ocala).
    what can i do to slow/stop the leakage? is it feasable to do an 'in-place' replacement of the seal on that side? does the inner
tie rod end act as a seal at all? (i've never taken a tie rod off of a rack before). gimme options/opinions/suggestions please (i'd
hope to be able to get to/from cincy without worrying about this, and i definitely dont want to tackle a rack swap the week before
cincy).
thanks in advance for help
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily LEAKER, 170k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch, driveshafts, wheels :)