Tire/wheel clearance problem

I've been having a strange problem with the 88 16V I just got.  I put on a
set of wheels and tires I have had on my 8V Roc for a few years.  They're
Konig 15x6.5 (ET40) with 195/50-15 Pirelli P700Z's.  I was on my way to get
the car smogged when "BOOM!" my left rear tire just popped.  Changed it and
saw that the thing had split where the tread and sidewall meet all the way
around.  I took it back to Discount and they stuck a loaner on there for me.
I get two miles away and "BOOM!" again.  Took it back again and we find out
that the spring is rubbing on the tire.  The right rear was rubbing too, but,
only slightly.  I got some 1/4" spacers and the left side STILL touches the
spring.  If you look at the spring and stick your finger in there, it seems
to be bowed towards the outside.  Any idea what could cause this?  I have a
theory that the knot-head PO (not you, Koabi, the previous PO) has cut a coil
or two off of the spring weakening it and by cutting it raising the spring
rate too much.  Am I on the right track here or am I nucking futs?  Nothing
else looks bent on this thing and the rear is all tight, no bearing slop or
anything like that.

Any ideas?

Tom in Tucson
www.area-53.com
Ten VW's, two Audi's, one Porsche, one Chevy, two GMC's and a John Deere.  :)