Should this happen?(Key related)

2 Days ago I went to see a friend with a wrecked 84
GTI.  It was terrible and smelled bad.  It had a leak
from the sunroof.  I decided to try my Scirocco key in
it and it locked the car.  I didn't try the ignition
since it had no battery.  I found it strange that my
Scirocco key would match a US built 84 GTI.  But they
were both the same years...
I think the same thing has happened before with our
Quantum and Jetta.  The Quantum key would lock the
Jetta and vice versa, but wouldn't start it.

Strange...

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco