talked to the insurance co today (was insurance ?)

I believe you need to grab a lawyer , especially if the son was charge with
stealing a vehicle and all the other stuff, that means there is an actual
police report and charges you can use and pretty easily sue father or son
( if the son is under age the father is responsible for his action btw)

   /  |/_ __/ ___/ Patrick Bureau
  //| | / / \__ \  1985 8v Prowler Orange "Beatrice"
 / _  |/ / ___/ /  1985 8v Titian Red "Lucky"
/_/ |_/_/ /____/   http://www.longcoeur.com/scirocco