talked to the insurance co today (was insurance ?)

Now I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know what state you live in, but you may
be able to sue the owner of the vehicle for your damage. If the owner
knowingly let his son drive a vehicle that he knew he wasn't insured to
drive, he could very easily be liable for your damages. Now if the son took
the vehicle without his father's permission, then you may have to go
directly after the son.

Just my thoughts -- Craig "not a lawyer" Williams