[Tech Q] Transaxle Stuck In 3rd Gear

I agree with Dan, and one more thing, if those 3 little keys pop out
(they'd pop out on the 4th gear side, when the slider is over 3rd),
they can float around the tranny and *that* will wreak havoc of a
different kind, like chewing up R&P, gears, and the case.  DON'T drive
the car, even nursing a start out of 3rd gear.

Wouldn't be a broken synchro IMO.

HTH

Ron

--- Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I've found that during tranny assembly it is easy to overtravel the
> 3rd/4th selector sleeve towards 3rd gear enough so the detents will
> pop
> out of their slots enough so the sleeve cannot be moved back into the
> neutral position. This sound like what has happened although the only
> way this could happen in an assembled tranny would be if a fork was
> bent.
> In any case it seems that tranny disassembly will be required.
> Dan
>
> peter wrote:
> >
> > Car in question Jeff Smith's black '80 S with a JH and 2H or 4K
> > transaxle...
> >
> > It shifted fine, no grinding or anything abnormal... I downshifted
> > 3rd, and then it wouldn't come back out. I tried to manually shift
> it on
> > the tranny, but I couldn't get it out of third.
> >
> > I drove it back in third, and today I put a large prybar on the
> input
> > selector shaft lever, and it will not disengage.
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions (before I pull the trans out) will be
> > appreciated!
> >
> > I'm thinking a broken synchro, or something internal...
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Peter

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.