blower fan...help please!

I am working on my blower as well, it has never worked sine i bought the
car. I disassembled the switch and ran a jumper from the white/grey strip
wire to either of the two wire to its right (1st is fan high/ 2nd is fan
med)[I was holding the plug with the wires comming towards me] any much to
my relief, my switch is faulty, but due to lack of use the is crap in my
blower box(car sat 2 years) and it sounds like hell. Any try the jumper deal
to decide if the switch or the fan is bad.