[Re: OT: German vs. Japanese car comparison]

Sebastian <smash593@shaw.ca> wrote:
i think you got it backwards. the sciroccos fenders are thin as thin can =
be,
and their interior is the most horrible thing on the planet. =

What???I gotta disagree. I have two 87 VWs , an 81, a 94 and  a 99 and tw=
o 85
Nissans, and two newer ones in the extended family. So that's five and fo=
ur,
fair groups to compare. The one older Nissan had such bad metal that it l=
ooked
like lacework around the struts, and the doors never did sound solid. All=

three old VWs are still very solid. And my dad's 99 Maxima has several
different colours on the stock gauges, and a bunch of other wierdness goi=
ng on
in the interior, I far prefer the sculptural beetle interior, or the seda=
te
basic nature of the older ones. Maybe it is Hondas to which you refer whe=
n you
say Japanese. But the Nissans anyway, have horrible rust problems far ear=
lier
than the VWs in my experience, and never do seem as solid.

they lost all
their character and they all look like friggin neons.

My new bug has lots of character, and still turns heads. It's probably on=
e of
the most easily disinguished cars on the road, even small children can te=
ll
what it is. It's not for everyone. But it's been a good car, only problem=
s I
had were because I messed with its brains. =

 But it's the second love. I could have my dad's 85 300 ZX, (pretty well =
thier
equivalent to the Rocco) but have no desire for it (I did like the 240Z h=
e had
before it though). I just never really liked it, too many gadgets, too he=
avy.
The Rocco wins for me. Each to his own.