From: Shawn c Meze [mailto:skerocdriver@juno.com]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 3:36 PM
To: ty@festf.org
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Bending My Swaybar...

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:16:06 -0700 "Tyler P." <ty@festf.org> writes:
> Hey all, I got my header and new exhaust system put on the roc this=20
> weekend
> (thanks Dave!) but one problem has cropped up.  My front sway bar no=20
> longer
> fits on the car.  Where the bend is in the middle regions of the=20
> sway bar is
> not big enough and it touches my header.  I got the two ends bolted=20
> down on
> the A frames and got the driverside bolted down but the passenger=20
> side of
> will not bolt down.  So right now I have 3 out of 4 mounting points=20
> secured.
> 1 option is to put my jack under the sway bar and jack it up into=20
> position,
> this would work but it would put a lot of stress on my header I=20
> would think
> and I'd probably start burning gaskets.  Another option is to bend=20
> my
> swaybar a little more and move the rubber bushings accordingly, but=20
> I don't
> know what this would do for the structural integrity of the swaybar.=20

Think of the swaybar as a spring. Its spring steel so if you heat it up
to bend it, the integrity of the swaybar is lost. (IE, it will snap on
the first HARD corner.) bending it cold will need ALOT of force for =
itto
take the new shape and you will need at least 3 bends for it to be =
right.

The other fix is to check out the motort mounts. If they're old and
saggy, this could be the real solution to your prtoblem. Check the =
front
mount and see if you can adjust it down (tilt the back of the motor up =
little) which might give you clearance.=20

Or, replace the header? Brand?

Some people just let it go and letthe swaybar dent the header where it
needs clearancing. The noise goes away eventually. (or so they said.)=20

Shawn M=E9ze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.