[tech] tired of timing

First, ignore the flywheel marks.  Find TDC with the old
coat-hanger-in-the-spare-plug-hole method.  Mark *that* with a sharpie.

Second, ignore the intermediate shaft mark.  [Can be, but not always]
too much of a pain to line up.  Just note where the #1 electrode in the
cap is (or should be), mark that on the block, pop the distributor, and
realign it as per your mark.

Third, [if necessary] when cranking, look at the timing, even if it
hasn't [or won't] start.  Adjust as required.  You may need a remote
starter switch for this trick, no biggie.  When if fires, give it time
to settle then time off of the mark you made.

HTH

Ron

--- "Foxx (in a box)" <foxxinabox@copper.net> wrote:
>   i'm still having no luck on my '86 8v with timing (i think that's
> the
> problem). i've turned the crank so that i can see the trianglular
> mark
> on the flywheel through the timing mark. i've lined the camshaft with
> the front edge of the head. i've tried setting the intermediate shaft
> 1) the mark, 2) 180° from the mark (towards plug wire #1), and 3)
> about
> 10° prior to the mark like on my '84 8v.i'm still not getting any
> love
> from my car.
>   i don't mean to be beating a dead horse, but my isp and
> scirocco.org
> are not cooperating and i can't search through the archives (not my
> day). please help. thanx.

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.