R-134a conversion: a success!

"T. Reed" wrote:

> Just thought I'd flaunt my newly working A/C..
<snip>
> Basically, I took the middle road for the conversion - I replaced the
> receiver/drier ($22), pulled a vacuum for 20 minutes ($12 Harbor Freight
> compressed air driven venturi pump - 4.2 SCFM @ 90 psi) and used a cheap
> interdynamics kit ($35 including 2 cans with r134a + oil + leak sealer +
> o-ring treatment, a can tap, hose, fittings, label and instructions) to
> charge with 24 oz refrigerant and 6 oz ester oil. I didn't drain the oil
> or change the o-rings, but it all seems to be working fine so far. We'll
> see..
<snip>
> -Toby

Sooooo,

This 'pulling a vacuum'- It makes no provisions for recovery of existing
R-12 in the system. I have a GTi with A/C, I wouldn't mind capturing
what's in there, else I have to do some crazy stuff to get it out in one
piece.

On the other hand If I can't get the R-12 to a certified recovery agent
then I could just vent it but I loath to do that to Momma my Earth. I
have been looking for a way I could capture the stuff into a propane
tank for the time it took to remove the system and reinstall it w new
dryer in another car.

In any case, I believe I will put myself on the (wedding) registry at
Harbor Freight.

Thx for the update,
TBerk