STRANDED!!!!

>Cable replacement is a 10 min job, sounds like the cable to me.

Probably the cable, but I have owned 2 A1s (out of a total of 5) where part of the pedal cluster broke!  If this is what happened, a hose clamp to keep the cable housing from being pulled through the hole in the firewall makes a good temporary repair.  Of course, this temporary repair looks like it could outlast the car (and I don't plan on getting rid of the car for a long time).

Bill