Brake Line Removal - Help?

Get flare end wrenches (or "line" wrenches).   Cut the rubber and use a
box end on that hex.  Be sure to turn the rubber line, NOT the steel
one!  You will twist the flare off in a heartbeat!  It's still possible
to damage it by turning the hose end, but less likely in my experience.

G/L

Ron
--- Cory Langford <corylang@dccnet.com> wrote:

> Okay,
>
> In what seems now like my infinite lack of wisdom, I decided that the
> brakes on the '86 project were in pretty bad shape so it was time for
> an
> upgrade.
>
> I got all the parts I need, rear 16V discs, front 16V calipers,
> passat 16V
> Master Cyl, metal master pads, x-drilled brembo rotors (front and
> back) and
> stainless brake lines.  I figured everything would be great.
>
> Now my problem is getting the old lines disconnected.  The rubber
> hose on
> each side in the rear is nicely rusted in there.  I have soaked if
> over
> night in penetrating oil.  Today I heated the hell out of them with
> my
> propane torch.  They still won't budge.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I am about to cut them off with a dremel and go searching for a
> flange tool
> to make new ends.  anyone know if there is anything special I should
> look
> for in a brake flange tool to do VWs?
>
> Cory Langford
> '86 turbo project
> '83 beater daily driver

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.