Removing engine from bottom?

Mark Mages wrote:

> So Haynes and Bentley say to hoist it out the top, but
> it seems like it would drop out the bottom easier....
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I found someone (relative) who is doing all the
> headwork for free, so I figger I ought to get the
> bottom done correctly...
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark
>
> __________

Either way works;

- Chassis on jackstands at highest settings and something under the
block like a wheeled dolly or at least a piece of carpet or cardboard to
slide the slightly tilted motor out as it clears the lower valence

OR:

- Car on the ground, jackstands at lowest setting (want to take wheels
off to avoid weight on bearings if axle nut is loosened) and motor
lifted out the top. Block and tackle and connection to garage roof
beams, a-frame, or improvised a-frame made from 2x4 lumber.

If you take the motor out you can take the trans at the same time or you
can unbolt the trans 1st which makes each part that much less bulky.

You don't really need to remove the hood, at least on a Mk1; take the
hood prop from it's normal Open position and place it in a new position
on the driver's side edge of the hood. It will prop the hood at a
higher, more open angle.

Don't forget the parking break & blocking the rear wheels.

Make your self happy with what ever you have to work with. As for myself
I'm drinking MGD right now, (it aint 'Anchor Steam' nor 'Rip Tide Red'
but it was free).

TBerk