My16V dies

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:19:46 -0700 (PDT) Jorel Jackson
<jorel140@yahoo.com> writes:
>The funny thing
> is, the belt has barely 30k on it. What could have
> caused those teeth to go like that?

30K is what caused it. :)
When you get into it, check out the condition of the tensioner (which im
sure you will definately replace when you install the brand spanking new
timming belt.) and also closelt look at the gears on the crank,
intermediate shaft and the cam gear. The rubber polished these and after
a goodwhile you can have teeth that just are too rounded to hold a t-belt
on the system for alot of miles.

> I think I got some
> rebuilding ahead of me. Any advice about what to do
> next would be appreciated.

At least a couple valves? Worse case, more. If it was at idle when it
died, maybe just one valve? Ive seen belts go and do NO damage to the
valves but it was only once that ive seen it, hope this happens to you.

At thevery least, replace the valve stem seals. Sorta might as well do a
valve job. Might be only a little more than replacing just a few valves.
Nothing wrong with a fresh head for da-Roc.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.