Removing engine from bottom?

I'll vouch for the fact that I saw Karmann assemble Sciroccos by
hoisting the engine/trans subassembly up through the body (which was
about 5-6 ft off the floor at that point on the line).  It would be
easy if you could put the body at a height that would clear the top of
the removed engine/trans sitting on a floor jack, but a "cherry
picker"  and the unequal length chain gizmo w/ hooks is what I used.
Remove the hood, of course.